Sustainable building requires that the architects, engineers and contractors focus on environmentally sound practices including; renewable energy, sustainable materials, water conservation, and indoor environmental quality. Green design and construction not only helps cut down on emissions released into the ozone, but also helps significantly reduce energy, water and HVAC costs. The benefits of sustainable building can be generally categorized in the following ways; environmental benefits, economic benefits and social benefits.
The purpose behind sustainable building is to preserve our environment and limit the impact on natural resources. When sustainable choices are made throughout each phase of a project’s development it allows us to:
• Protect the ecosystem, both locally and throughout the Atlantic region
• Conserve water
• Reduce emissions; during and after construction
• Improve air and water quality
• Conserve and restore natural resources
• Reduce waste
Not only does sustainable building improve the quality of our environment but it also has many economic benefits as well. By using sustainable materials, reducing energy consumption, and improving water efficiency it will enable you to:
• Reduce operating costs
• Optimize the life cycle of the building
• Increase property value
• Help support local suppliers and producers
Although the environmental benefits of green buildings are well known, the social benefits of green buildings are often forgotten. By improving indoor environmental quality you can:
• Improve the comfort and health of a building's occupants
• Create an aesthetically pleasing environment
• Minimize strain on local infrastructure
• Encourage sustainable practices within your community
Sustainable building is here to stay and the benefits of green building continue to grow.
Contact us to find out how we can green your project.